Monday, May 26, 2008

Pork Chop with Fennel Seed Crust with a Fennel & Apple Puree


I haven't done very much cooking lately, actually I haven't done very much at all. Apart from work I have spent all my free time sleeping, which granted, is quite enjoyable but very out of character for me and also very unproductive, I mean, it's not like I need thaaat much beauty sleep. At first I put it down to weather/time of the month - until a few other symptoms popped up and I realised, hey, I'm probably anaemic.
Looking back on my diet it was no surprise, as there was very little nutrition at all, - something which is entirely my fault as I could have chosen to eat a carrot or maybe some yoghurt rather than a whole block of Cadbury (damn you sweet chocolate!) followed with half a box of chocolate teddies (which I don't even like that much). So I leaped, well crawled, into action and popped some Vitamin C, B12 and of course, Iron supplements; and my 2nd day in I am actually awake (I slept in until 12 but I did get off the couch to actually work today), and feeling much better. With my energy partially restored I resumed my nightly cooking.

As one of my favourite vegetables, fennel, is in season, I thought I would cook a recipe that uses it as the main ingredient. As it also includes pork I will only be eating the puree portion along with my pills. Yummo! Retirement home here I come!

Some facts about: FENNEL


  • Is one of the primary ingredients of absinthe.
  • Has both culinary and medicinal uses.
  • The flavour is similar to that of anise and star anise - think licorice.
  • In medieval times fennel was used in conjunction with St John's wart to keep away withcraft and other evil things.


Ease: 4/5. Not much prep work and fairly quick. Around 40mins all up.
Taste: 4.5/5.
According to Ryan - loved the pork, hated the puree; reminded him of baby food. I omitted the lemon rind for the pork seasoning as I had no lemons. I was fairly unimpressed with the puree as it was runnier than pictured. I suspect that this was because the fennel I bought was fairly small in size, and I also used slightly less than half an onion, which may have resulted in a much more liquid puree.
Would I make again: Yes
for the pork. I would serve it with fennel seed mash next time and some greens.

Recipe here: http://www.cuisine.com.au/recipe/pork-chop-with-fennel-seed-crust

No comments:

Post a Comment