Sunday, June 15, 2008

Chicken Celeriac Salad

Ryan hates celery - however I thought I'd give celeriac a try.
Add amounts to suit the number of people you are serving. 1 apple is enough for 2 people.

Recipe:
sliced grilled chicken breast
1 apple
grated celeriac
cos lettuce
toasted walnuts
salt and pepper
mayonaisse

Grill chicken and then toss all ingredients together.

Some Facts About CELERIAC:
  • is also known as 'celery root,' 'turnip-rooted celery' or 'knob celery'.
  • Celeriac may be used raw or cooked.
  • Unlike other root vegetables, which store a large amount of starch, celery root is only about 5-6% starch by weight.

Ease: 5/5. I fried the chicken in some oil as I didn't have a grill.
Prep Time: 5mins. You only have to slice the apple and wash the lettuce.
Cooking Time: 15mins. The chicken takes 15mins to cook. Whilst that was on I toasted the walnuts for 1min and assembled the rest of the ingredients in a bowl.
Total: 20mins.

Taste: 4/5.
The flavours worked really well together. The celeriac tasted like celery with a nutty flavour that worked well with the chicken. The apple added a juicy, tartness which balanced out the sweetness of the walnuts and mayonnaise. The Cos lettuce also worked well. The dish was light but still filling.

Would I make again: Yes. Ryan loved it as much as I did. It is a really healthy, quick meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment