Sunday, June 8, 2008

Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars

Today was an absolutely glorious day; the sun was streaming through every window of the house. It has been the first time in a long time that I haven't needed to turn the heater on until 5pm. Although I had planned on going to Chaddy to pick up some bargains at the sale, it was simply too nice a day to waste inside shopping. Doggie also agreed with this; so off we went for a nice stroll. After getting back to my clean, clutter-free kitchen (which only happens once a month) I felt the desire to bake some afternoon treats. Luckily I had the ingredients for Ina Garten's (Barefoot Contessa on Foxtel) Peanut Butter & Jelly (Jam) Bars. At around 800cals per slice (12 slices), these are not for people watching their weight. Side Note: 800cals is half of the daily recommended energy intake for someone my height, age and weight to maintain their weight.

Some Facts About PEANUTS:
  • is a species in the legume family.
  • Peanuts can also be used like other legumes and grains to make a lactose-free milk-like beverage, Peanut milk.
  • Peanuts are a rich source of protein (roughly 30 grams per cup after roasting).
  • Peanuts are a source of Coenzyme Q10 along with oily fish, beef, soybeans and spinach
Ease: 3.5/5. You must take the eggs and butter out at least 1hour before baking so they are at room temperature. Same prep as a cake - just lots of mixing. It does get quite messy. My slices were starting to burn at the 30min mark so make sure you keep checking.
Prep: 15mins
Cooking Time: 30mins.
Total: 45mins + 15mins cooling time.

Taste:
3/5. Nice but MUCH too rich. Could barely finish the slice without water. The modifications I made were that I used 295g of Dalfour's Red Raspberry Jam, 1 tsp salt, 2 3/4cup of flour and 3/4 of a tub of Kraft Smooth peanut butter. I would recommend more jam, and only 1/3cup of peanuts.

Would I make again: No. Too rich and peanut buttery for me.

Recipe here:
http://www.recipezaar.com/173988

No comments:

Post a Comment