Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Pomegranate & Balsamic Glazed Chicken with Oak Lettuce, Pear and Pomegranate Vinegarette Salad

Tuesday nights are my most 2nd hellish day of the week (Mondays are so bad we always end up getting fast food for dinner). After slaving the day away in Hades and dishing up dinner for all three heads of Cerberus I want something quick and with minimal 'hands on' cooking. Tonight the main star of my dish is the good looking fruit, the regal Pomegranate (those are some of the reasons why I chose it as the 'symbol' of my blog).

Side note: how full on is this fog?? Took the doggie for a walk last night, and looking down the side streets with the skeletal trees, I just kept thinking 'any second now the Headless Horseman is gonna come galloping towards me'. Fog is just really creepy at night.

Some facts about POMEGRANATE:

  • The name "pomegranate" derives from Latin pomum ("apple") and granatus ("seeded").
  • The pomegranate ('rimmôn') is mentioned in the Bible as one of the seven fruits/plants that Israel was blessed with.
  • The pomegranate originated from Persia and has been cultivated in Georgia, Armenia and the Mediterranean region for several millennia (it's one of the most ancient fruits).
  • Grenadine syrup is thickened and sweetened pomegranate juice used in cocktail mixing.
  • Pomegranate aril juice provides about 16% of an adult's daily vitamin C requirement per 100 ml serving, and is a good source of vitamin B5, potassium and antioxidant polyphenols.
  • Persephone (Greek Mythology) was condemned to spend 4 months each year in hades as a consequence for eating 4 pomegranate seeds.
  • Pomegranates are also prominent at Greek weddings and funerals.
Ease: 4/5. I fried the chicken in a small frypan and then placed it in a small baking dish. Not much prep. Prep: 10mins. Cooking Time: 45mins. Total: 55mins.

Taste: 3.5/5.
I couldn't find a pomegranate so I used Pomegranate syrup that Helen bought for me from a Turkish deli. Because the syrup was a little sour so the end result was tangy.

Would I make it again: No.
Didn't really make me go yum.

Recipe here:
http://www.cuisine.com.au/recipe/Pomegranate-and-balsamic-glazed-chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment