Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Greek salad


Having a Greek father I've had my fair share of Greek salads. I wanted to try something a little different, so when I saw this version had fresh basil and fried feta I thought I'd give it a whirl.

400g firm feta, sliced
250g cherry tomatoes, halved
1 white onion, thinly sliced
2 cucumbers, peeled and sliced
1 cup mixed olives
1/4 cup basil leaves
1/4 cup purple basil leaves
cracked black pepper
1tsp red wine vinegar
1tbs extra virgin Olive oil

Heat non stick pan over high heat and fry feta until golden. Divide between plates and top with onion, tomato, cucumber, olives, basil and purple basil. Sprinkle with pepper and drizzle vinegar and oil. Serves 4.

ease: 5/5.
prep time: 9mins to chop everything.
cooking time: 1min to brown feta (mine started to melt so I took it out).
total: 10mins.

taste: 4.5/5. My favourite Greek salad to date. The feta didn't exactly brown as much as melt, so won't bother doing that next time. The fresh basil (couldn't get purple) and white onions were awesome. The white onions offered that great peppery sweetness without the harshness the red onions have - didn't have heartburn after eating these. The fresh basil was different but lovely, helped to cut through the heavy feta and freshen the mouth. The dressing was lovely, but it all depends on the quality of your oil and red wine vinegar. I use one large cucumber and only 200g feta.

would I make it again: Yes. Prefer it to other Greek salads, the white onions and fresh basil really made all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment