Sunday, December 28, 2008

Spiced chai latte cupcakes


Another baked sweet today! While the apricot crumble was in the oven I thought, what should I do in the 30mins it takes to bake? I'll make some cupcakes!

Chai is my 2nd favourite drink (water comes first) as it contains all of my favourite spices, especially my top 3: cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom. I drink chai at least once a week and I use all three spices on something or other every week. So when I came upon a chai cupcake recipe I squealed with glee (ok, I didn't squeal per say, but I did slightly smile). It also gave me the chance to use up two egg whites I had in the fridge - double yay.

ease: 4/5. Making the icing is the most difficult.
prep time:
30mins. 12 mins to make batter (make batter whilst milk is on the stove) and 18mins to make icing.
cooking time: 20mins plus cooling time.
total: 50mins - it would take around 35mins if you make the icing while the cupcakes are baking.

taste: 4.5/5. I loved these cupcakes! The cupcake base was perfectly spiced - I forgot to add the apple cider vinegar, not sure what it would have done but I think I'll add it next time. I only had enough batter for 10cupcakes. At first I thought I was going to have a disaster on my hands with the icing as it did not look as written - but after all of the butter was added and it had been beating for about 5mins it finally looked like an icing. It is absolutely lovely but I think I will leave out 1tbs of butter next time as it was a little buttery - it is also fairly sweet, but it has a gorgeous fluffy, smooth texture.
would I make it again: Yes - the icing is a little time consuming but these cupcakes are fantastic.

recipe:
http://www.loveandoliveoil.com/2008/11/spiced-chai-latte-cupcakes.html

No comments:

Post a Comment