Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Banana & hazelnut cake


Even though I had a horrible night's sleep, I got out of a bed with a truckload of energy and enthusiasm.

I made a nice Red Chai Rooibos tea (from my latest stockpile) to sip leisurely with breakfast before speeding through work in a little over two hours. With my unexpected efficiency I found myself at lunchtime with no work to do once I finished eating. Automatically my thoughts led to housework; quite sad now I think about it.

After doing a load of laundry I took some photographs of some bees (well about 30 to be exact) which were working on a small plant with tiny pink flowers. I was enjoying this until one of them decided to land on my head which promptly sent me running up the stairs, arms flailing and wailing at the top of my lungs. Needless to say, there would be no more outdoor photography for me today.

Shoutout to my brother Paris who rearranged the spoons for me - thanks :).

I then wanted to take my gorgeous dog for a walk but my partner was still working, (I did offer to pitch in but he told me to go enjoy myself) so I thought I'd save the walk until he could join us. Then I thought (I do a lot of thinking on a daily basis, mostly whilst I stare into nothingness), what do I enjoy...I'll bake a cake, and that's what I did.

Yoshi loves a good scratch behind the ears.

ease: 5/5.
prep time:
15mins.
cooking time: 45mins.
total: 1hour.

taste: 4/5. This is hands down the best banana cake I have ever made - moist, fluffy, flavoursome and with a lovely crunchy, sweet topping. I made the following modifications:
  • I used a 22cm round cake tin
  • 2 large bananas
  • 200g vanilla yoghurt
  • 50g Greek yoghurt
  • 140g caster sugar
would I make it again: Yes - I might add some cinnamon and nutmeg to the topping next time.

recipe: http://technicolorkitcheninenglish.blogspot.com/2009/01/banana-and-hazelnut-coffee-cake.html

7 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! Such a lovely cake!! Well done! The nutmeg would be a nice addition, I tend to use that spice in most cakes with fruit, brings out the natural sweetness.
    Yoshi is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are breathtaking!
    I'm glad to hear you like that recipe. Tks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! This sounds simply delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow, that looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    I just found your site from the photo you posted on Food Gawker - the Banana Hazelnut Cake looks and sounds absolutely fantastic!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. that cake looks lovely and moist.

    i always scream like an idiot when a bee comes near me.

    ReplyDelete