Sunday, March 29, 2009

Kaffir lime & coconut tart


After a visit to one of my favourite restaurants, Persimmon, I felt inspired to tackle a dessert that takes more than an hour to make.

I have had this recipe bookmarked for such along time, but the amount of eggs alone has always deterred from making it. Well today was the day and although it was time consuming, it wasn't that difficult.

A word of warning, I layered baking paper on the bottom of the pan but not on the sides. When I tried to remove the tart from the pan the crust had completely stuck to the non-stick sides and it fell apart. So I apologise for the crummy pictures, to see a better end result check out the recipe link, the tat looks quite lovely.


ease: 3.5/5. Be prepared to be standing over the stove for a while.
prep time: 39mins.
cooking time: 30mins
total: 1hour & 9mins.

taste: 3.5/5.
The lime butter is lovely; really citrusy and decadent, but also quite rich. The coconut macaroon crust works beautifully, the little slices of kaffir lime fill your mouth with the powerfully perfumed taste of lime. I do think flaked coconut would have made a nicer crust, I just couldn't find it. This got scored lower because it is soooo very rich, unless you are feeding lots of people with it I doubt you will finish it.

would I make it again: No
, just too many eggs considering I pay over $10 for 12 which make it incredibly rich.

recipe: http://gourmettraveller.com.au/kaffir_lime_and_coconut_tart.htm

8 comments:

  1. this looks really beautiful... very nice blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. How delicious looking. It's getting me excited about spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you say you pay TEN DOLLARS for 12 eggs? Oh, my goodness! Looks great but I totally get not making it if that's true. Geez, I don't think I'd make anything at those prices.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifil picture! I can imagine how yum that thing is :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. even though you wouldn't make it again i want to because i looovvvve citrus tarts. pretty photos as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cake is truly delicious, great for gluten-free people too - it's just too much for two people to eat before it reaches its 'bin-date'.

    But yes, a bit pricey for me as I buy biodynamic free range eggs which cost me but I really see/taste the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'm going to have to give this one a try. I found a photo of it on the Kitchen Crusader's 365 (photo a day) project http://365project.org/kitchencrusader/365/2011-04-07 and have been trying to track down a recipe. I might have to add it to my own cookery blog!

    But one question: are the leaves fresh or dried? I've never seen fresh ones (not sure that kaffir limes grow in the UK), and I'm uncertain as to whether dried ones would work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The leaves are fresh - the supermarkets here stock them in the fruit and veg section next to the fresh herbs

    Perhaps there is a kaffiir lime essence?

    ReplyDelete