Thursday, April 16, 2009

Fennel & orange salad


The night would not let me sleep.

For reasons unknown I found myself waking at odd hours; two hour intervals of bizarre dreams led to me lying in bed awake wondering why I was awake, and not dreaming bizarre dreams. Nights like these never lead to productive days as I find myself falling asleep any moment I become too still.

One such moment I was sitting on my couch as I placed down the book I am currently reading, A New Earth, to contemplate what I should do next. The curtains had been pulled apart as far as they would allow and I became entranced by the golden sunlight flickering through the lush green trees as the end of my garden, and then before I knew it, I woke up with a sore neck, 45 minutes lost and my father's arrival looming. Oops.

With broccoli & potato soup sorted I thought some crusty bread, olives and perhaps a light refreshing salad to cleanse the palate before dessert could definitely be achieved before diner time.


Fennel and orange is one of my favourite go to combinations for a tasty, juicy salad with plenty of flavours and dimensions. I wanted to add some pizazz by way of dressing, and the pomegranate one on Chez Us seemed like just the ticket, perhaps next time pomegranate seeds may be the used.

ease: 5/5.
prep time: 5mins to slice.
cooking time: 3mins to toss with dressing.
total: 8mins.

taste: 4/5. Refreshing with sweet aniseed, citrusy orange and tart pomegranate.

would I make it again: Yes.

recipe: http://www.chezus.com/2009/01/17/fennel-and-blood-oranges/

No comments:

Post a Comment