Friday, May 8, 2009

Pear & chocolate crumble


I pull my woollen cardigan tighter around my shoulders as I plaster cream cheese unto my blueberry bagel. My dog comes in from him morning routine and shakes his body like a tumble dryer drum, spraying the room with a mist of water. I grab a towel and dry him off, leaning over to close the door as the icy breeze numbs my toes and chills my ribs.

The temperature slowly descends through the weeks, preparing us for Winter's bitter embrace. I notice the birds who come to collect the seeds have puffed up their feathers; they too have their winter coats on. I find myself craving chocolate once again - its richness and voluptuous quality wraps itself around me like a warm, cashmere blanket. In the evenings I love to interlock my fingers around a mug of hot chocolate, bringing life to my fingertips and tongue.

This afternoon I had another craving visit, too early to languidly sip its melted form, I wanted something I could sink my teeth into and also cradle in my lap. This crumble looks lusciously inviting, and is quick to make.


ease: 5/5.
prep time:
12mins.
cooking time: 15mins.
total: 27mins.

taste: 4/5. The chocolate barely covered the pears and although it spread after cooking there wasn't enough chocolate for me, so I would double the amount next time.
The crumble was also a little floury and bland - I would definietely add more butter and brown sugar next time.
The flavours were lovely, the only alteration I made was to use half milk, half dark chocolate on the behest of my husband - I wish I had used dark only though as it was a little weak for me.

would I make it again: Yes - it was really quick and easy, just needs a few tweaks to suit my tastebuds.

recipe: Pear and Chocolate Crumble

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked the recipe! The pairing of chocolate and pear is wonderful, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i betcha nutella would also add something delicious to this recipe. my boyfriend loves pears and chocolate, so this will have to be made soon.

    thanks for your take on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your photos! They look like they have come straight out of a cookbook and it looks like you put a lot of thought into creating the composition and lighting! And it really shows in your beautiful photos.

    I know how to appreciate great photos, but unfortunately don't know how to apply it to myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nutella is a great idea, chocolate and pear go beautifully together, and perhaps the hint of hazelnut that Nutella would add might make it even better.

    Thank you for the compliments regarding my photographs - to be honest I haven't been giving as much thought or time to the photographs (espeically where I take them, there is probably a better spot I'm sure), but with encouraging comments like that I shall defintitely start thinking more about composition/lighting etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! I'll be linking it at the base of my post next week. So happy to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete