Thursday, July 30, 2009

French toast with cinnamon pears


We have timidly begun a new tradition in my home.

For the past three weeks, each Thursday, my father and brother make the 2min drive to my home to have breakfast with my husband and myself (and our dog Yoshi). Although they struggle to make it here by 10am (which I personally don't consider to be that early, but I guess I didn't inherit my family's 'vampire' gene), they eventually come rolling in, still sleepy eyed, to feast on treats with us.

The past two Thursdays I have made pancakes, but today I thought I'd deviate a little and make french toast instead, with some fruit thrown in for good measure (and nutrients).

ease: 5/5.
prep time: 5mins.
cooking time: 15mins to make 8 slices of french toast and poached pears.
total: 20mins

taste: 4.5/5. As I guessed, everyone loved these. Anything that involves sugar, maple syrup and fruit tends to be a hit. The toast was spongy, soft and crunchy whilst the pears were softly firm with just a hint of cinnamon, the syrup they were cooked in went beautifully with the dish. I made the following modifications:
  • I used sour dough white bread
  • I used around 1/4cup maple syrup
I wish I had added some star anise or cloves to spice it up a little as I felt the cinnamon was too subtle for me, I prefer my pears a little spicier.

would I make it again: Yes, with some extra spicing up and an extra pear.

recipe: French toast with spiced pears

3 comments:

  1. A scrumptious combo! Delightful!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUm this looks fabulous! I love spicy (warm) much more too. My husband on the other hands doesnt fancy such things. I love the new tradition! It is truly a man thing not being able to make it until "late"!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a truly delightful breakfast! i would kill to have such a yummy start to my morning (especially cos i'm not a morning person at all). am a little jealous as well of being able to have breakfast with the family. i shd probably start arranging something with em! xx

    ReplyDelete