Thursday, July 9, 2009

Orange-flavored strawberry & rhubarb clafoutis


Aside from meat, most seafoods and coriander leaves, there's nothing else that I cannot/will not eat.

Although I am lactose intolerant (I still eat small servings of yoghurt or custards - the belly pain is worth it) I can wolf down a multitude of baked goods and suffer little more than an overextended belly (and slight guilt).
My sister-in-law and father-in-law on the other hand a sensitive to wheat and dairy products, which usually means I have to look a little harder to find a dessert that will please everyone. Luckily, there is such a multitude of gluten and dairy free recipes out there these days, especially on blogs, that make finding a recipe so much easier (and fun).

La Tartine Gourmande is brilliant for all sweet things with alternative tart crusts and fillings - I have already bookmarked many more for family gatherings. Speical diets no longer mean boring or tasteless food.

On a side note - whilst I was preparing dessert I had the pleasure of viewing my gorgeous ballerina pink Camelia's, one of the perks of Winter.


ease: 5/5.
prep time:
25mins.
cooking time: 25mins.
total: 50mins.

taste: 4/5. I couldn't find almond flour so I substituted 1/4c almond meal and 1/4c spelt flour - the clafoutis ended up being a little on the 'gelatinous' side - the parts that weren't covered in fruit were a little chewy and jelly-like in texture. Other than that the combination of the tartly sweet strawberries and rhubarb with hints of bitter orange was lovely. Just the right amount of sweetness to balance out the acidity.

would I make it again: Yes - I might try to source the almond flour or perhaps substitute with something else.

recipe: Orange-flavored strawberry & rhubarb clafoutis

5 comments:

  1. I saw your dessert on foodgawker and came over to take a look. Almond meal is just another name for almond flour.

    If you are ever in a pinch and need a store bought dessert for your relatives...Arico gluten and dairy free cookies are the best I've found. They have an almond cranberry that is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you so much for the review on this very recipe. I had saved that one! I have to cook all of my husbands goodies gluten free. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. spelt is a type of wheat and contains gluten...please be careful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry - I called to check first and they said they ate spelt.
    I would have thought almond meal was not as fine and a little more oily than almond 'flour' sounded to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its really hard having to make sure all your recipes are safe for people to eat. These look pretty awesome, too bad they didnt quite turn out the way you expected

    ReplyDelete