Saturday, August 8, 2009

Creamy tapioca pudding with strawberry fennel puree


Ah, the calm before the storm, or rather the storm before the calm.

Tomorrow I am expecting my three darling girlfriends over for our second book club meet up (perhaps with an episode of Pushing Daisies to follow for good measure). As you can imagine I am working my way through the house like a madwoman vacuuming, wiping, washing and pushing my husband out of every room I am in. Knowing I would be busy during most of the morning I planned the night before to make a treat first thing that I could reward myself with once I was done. I believe cleaning is always sweeter if there is a sweet ending.

Yoshi loved the leftovers.

ease: 4.5/5.
You need to be at the stove.
prep time: 5mins to get tapioca on the stove and strawberries pulverised.
cooking time: 25mins.
total: 30mins plus chilling time if you prefer it cold and more set.

taste: 3.5/5. The first taste you get is a big punch of tart, grainy strawberry puree followed by a hint of licorice fennel and lastly the creamy subtle, gelatinous tapioca pudding. Whilst I loved the texture of the pudding I didn't really enjoy the grainy strawberries (which using a sieve probably would have corrected, but I couldn't be bothered), I think I would have loved this even more with some stewed apples or even rhubarb so the tapioca could shine through a little more.

Some people commented that the tapioca was too runny and didn't set so I reduced the water by 1/4cup and it set perfectly. This made 3 decent servings.

would I make it again: Yes - with a different fruit topping and perhaps half a vanilla bean for the tapioca pudding.

recipe: Fruit-on-the-bottom Tapioca Pudding

5 comments:

  1. your dog is so cute i just want to eat him. and your food too.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strawberry fennel puree sounds fantastic! Especially with Tapioca!
    Your dog is such a cutey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one unique flavor combo! A delicious dessert!

    I love your adorable dog ;-P!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww your dog is the cutestt! Love the colour of your pudding :) gave you some awards on my blog..plz accept em..thanx!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course your dessert looks wonderful, but nothing is cuter than Yoshi! Oh my heavens! I love your little doggie, (little he he), so darling!

    ReplyDelete