Friday, February 5, 2010

Orange, passion fruit & poppyseed muffins

I am one of those people who need something to sweeten the deal.

Being someone who takes an obscene amount of pleasure in eating, the best reward I can think of has to be edible. Today, to motivate myself to tie up my sneakers and actually participate in something close to exercise I chose to bake some yummy muffins that would be warm and ready for me upon my breathless return.


ease: 5/5.
prep time: 17mins.
cooking time: 38mins.
total: 55mins.

taste: 3/5. The poppyseed was too poppin'.

I was hesitant to pour my 1/2cup of tiny onyx beads into the batter mix, but I stayed true to the recipe and proceeded - with my first mouthful, once the lemon-y tang from the sweet, viscous icing had subsided I anticipated the gorgeous acidic tropical tang from the passion fruit and orange to come through, but they didn't. All I got was the crazy crunching of the poppyseeds which seemed to make up 90% of the muffin. With each mouthful my heart sank - if I were blindfolded I wouldn't even guess these muffins had orange or passion fruit - only the lemon icing and poppy-base.

If you want to give these a go - because they do truly look gorgeous on the original post - I would decrease the poppyseeds to 1/4cup to let the fruits shine.

would I make it again: No.


recipe: Orange, passion fruit & poppyseed muffcakes

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pictures and wonderful muffins!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. i, too, require edible rewards, and the more sinful, the better. how devastating that your muffins weren't the delight that you had hoped they'd be! and darn an unworthy use of poppy seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a sucker for poppy seeds. But the dissappointment you felt has really put me off. That such an anti climax!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just came across this in a search and this must've been before I started reading your blog. I LOVE these photos and flavors :). Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete