Friday, March 19, 2010

Baby carrots with labne & herb salad


A short post for a side dish.

I love side dishes; if a restaurant has not one appetising main, I have more than once happily substituted it with two or more side dishes. You have your usual potato-type dish, but I felt like something with a little more pizzazz and character - not to mention a little more nutriontal value also.

Carrots - well, to be precise, cooked carrots, are something I have only just begun to eat and I am voraciously trying to find recipes that end up being eaten by both myself and my husband. This one not only sounded tasty, but looked exciting and delicious.


ease: 5/5.
prep time: 5mins.
cooking time: 25mins.
total: 30mins.

taste: 4/5. Fun to eat.

The combination of flavours was wonderful. I excluded Parsley, as I personally feel Parsley doesn't play well with others and masks every other flavour with its own. The dill and mint added freshness and vitality to the sweet caramelised carrots with their shawl of fennel. Put this together with the zing of the vinegar (I just used Sherry vinegar as I didn't have Pedro Ximenez on hand) and the cool, tang of the labne and you have a winning dish.

Personally, I would have preferred the carrots hotter, rather than letting them cool down as much as written. I say, serve them as soon as the dressing is ready to be poured over their orange bodies.

would I make it again: Yes.


recipe: Baby carrots with labne & herb salad

5 comments:

  1. So spring-like and wonderful!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think i would classify very few foods as 'fun to eat,' so i clearly have to give this a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the quick side dish...great shot

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, I can blieve you've only recently started eating cooked carrots!! I adore dutch corrots, just roasted with some butter. Oh man...just made myself drool...eww!

    ReplyDelete