Thursday, October 6, 2011

S'mores chocolate pots


It is astonishing how quickly one learns to adapt to being one-armed.

As my little bundle seems to wake every time I try to lay her down I have had to complete errands one-handed whilst she happily sleeps in the other. Granted, this rules out quite a few tasks, but some, such as stirring a pot, are very do-able; typing this post with only my left-hand is another.

Having reached the point where all my nightly dreams revolved around the consumption of epic portions of every kind of dessert imaginable I knew I had to make something before I'd wake up to a half eaten pillow...

The moment I saw this recipe I knew it was the one to break my dessert-sabbatical. There was something about whipping the eggwhites into satiny peaks that felt like slipping into a pair of comfy jeans. As I ran a fingertip through its billowing clouds and licked my 'snowcapped' finger I thought to myself -  'it's good to be back.'




ease: 4/5.
prep time: 30mins.
chilling time: 2hours.
total: 2 hours & 30mins.

taste: 4.5/5. Like a campfire at home.

These pots of silken chocolate laced with espresso topped with fluffy, sweet meringue kissed by the flame are incredibly delicious. The sweet meringue truly is reminiscent of creamy soda-ish marshmallows and balances out the seductively dark smooth chocolate; the touch of smokiness from the scorching tops it off perfectly. Eat beneath a woolly blanket, in front of a fireplace, under a full moon's light for the indoor-campfire experience.

I would skip coffee next time as I used a 70% chocolate which when paired with the coffee added a bit too much bitterness for me.

Because of bubs I didn't have enough time to make the graham cracker -  next time!

This made 4 servings.

would I make it again: Yes.

recipe: http://www.raspberricupcakes.com/2011/03/smore-chocolate-pots.html#comment-form

8 comments:

  1. Oh My Goodness, this looks so good. Just as Im foraging through my cupboards trying to find an afternoon snack, I read this!
    I want this, but I can't have too much chocolate, cause of little G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funnily enough I have also had to pretty much eliminate chocolate for the same reason :(, needless to say the sweets I will be posting from now on will be chocolate-free...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great idea! Those look irresistible.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my... with a bub in one hand this really takes the cake!!! Well don't you! That just literally made my tummy rumble! hahahah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum this looks incredible!!!! It's also giving me the biggest craving for chocolate even though I've only just had breakfast!

    Well done for making this one handed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful dessert, I'm sure it totally hit the spot (and saved your pillow), but oh yes, imagine it with the graham cracker! I guess you'll only get more talented at the one handed tasks and cooking! So impressive already though, lady :)
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm that looks delicious. Well done on the one handed cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice take on s'mores! i can relate to the woes of one-handed cooking, though my excuse is far less enjoyable than yours--i had a torn rotator cuff!

    ReplyDelete